If you’re not a big fan of brinjal/eggplant and find all its recipes boring? Then this recipe is perfect for you. Try this delectable Bharela Ringan Recipe, and you will fall in love with brinjals.
About Bharela Ringan
Bharela Ringan is a delicious dish famous in the Gujarati community. It is made by stuffing brinjals/eggplants with a stuffing made with gram flour.
The stuffing is the main hero of this recipe and is made with besan (Chickpea flour), crushed peanuts, and a lot of spices.
These ingredients, and the delicious taste of brinjal, combine to make a delectable dish that Gujratis often enjoy as the main dish.
Learn how to make this mouth-watering Bharela Ringan recipe with this recipe blog, and enjoy it with some warm chapatis for your next meal. Stay tuned.
Instructions On How To Make Bharela Ringan Gujarati Style (With Pictures)
Bharela Ringan Gujarati Style Recipe
- 4 tablespoon oil
- ¾ cup gram flour
- 3 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons dry coconut powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¾ teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon Amchur dry mango powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon jaggery
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic chili paste
- coriander finely chopped
- 3 Medium-sized brinjals/eggplants
- 1 Medium size potato
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida hing
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 4-5 fresh curry leaves
- Start by heating 1 tbsp oil in a medium-sized cauldron or pan.
- Add the gram flour and roast it for 2-3 minutes on low heat. Roast until the besan becomes aromatic and darker in color. Once done, take it off the flame.
- In a grinder, add the roasted peanuts and sesame seeds and grind them to a fine powder.
- Add the roasted besan (gram flour), ground peanut-sesame powder, and dry coconut powder to a large mixing bowl. Give them a good mix.
- Now add ½ tablespoon of turmeric, Kashmiri red chili powder, other spices, sugar, and salt. Lightly mix them well using your hands.
- Next, add the jaggery, ginger garlic chili paste, and finely chopped coriander leaves. Stir them well.
- Lastly, add 1 tbsp of oil and mix it with your hands until the stuffing starts holding shape. Set this aside.
- Rinse the brinjals and pat them dry with a kitchen towel. Make 2 slits in the brinjal starting from the bottom towards the top. Make sure to cut only 3/4th of the brinjal.
- Now stuff the brinjals with the prepared besan stuffing one by one and set them aside.
- Cut the potato into rough cubes and mix them well in the remaining stuffing.
- Heat your steamer and place a flat plate inside it. Arrange all the brinjals on the plate one by one. Add in the remaining potatoes and stuffing as well.
- Cover and cook for about 12-15 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Once done, take them out on a plate and set them aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan; add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, chopped chillis, and curry. Give them a good stir and cook until the ingredients start to pop.
- Add in the steamed brinjals and potatoes and give them a good mix. Once mixed, cook them for 2-3 minutes on low heat.
- Once done, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve warm with chapatis.
Tips For Making This Recipe More Delicious
- Roast the besan (gram flour) on low heat and keep stirring, or it will burn.
- Make sure to pat dry the brinjals well to eliminate the excess moisture on the surface.
- Slit the brinjals from the bottom to the stem. Cut them only about ¾, or else the brinjals will fall apart.
- Make sure to stuff the brinjals well to achieve a flavourful taste.
- Once the brinjals are cooked, use a knife to check if they are cooked. If not, then dont hesitate to add 2-3 more minutes of cooking.
- Medium-size brinjals are best for this recipe.
To store this delectable Bharela Ringan, transfer them into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. This will last you for upto 1-2 days and can be reheated anytime you like.
To reheat it on the gastop, transfer it into a pan and add water if required, cook for about 2 minutes and you’ll have your reheated Bharela Ringan ready.
To do the same in a microwave, just transfer it to a microwave safe bowl/container, sprinkle some water on top and microwave for 1-2 minutes.
We hope you liked this Bharela Ringan recipe and are ready to try it out. Stay tuned for more such delicious recipes.
What type of brinjals is best for this recipe?
Small to medium-sized eggplants/brinjals are best for this recipe. Make sure the brinjals are of good quality and are free of worms.
What can I use in place of besan/gram flour?
If you dont have besan or gram flour, you can conveniently replace it with cashew powder. It would give the same texture to the stuffing.
What if I don’t have a steamer?
If you dont have a steamer, you can use a deep pot for this purpose. Just fill the pot with water, place a plate, and cover and cook your brinjals. The results will be the same.